Things to do:
o exhuast leak – need a gasket for the exhaust side of the turbo
o fire suppression remounting
o tow strap remount
o change moroso oil pan to the steal stamp version
o replace the POS exedy stage 2 race clutch
o possible oil cooler to add
o oil pressure
o aerodynamic body parts
After a week of playing with the Apex-i AVCR I have boost at a decent level. Seems to be very touchy with the boost spool trick. One thing to note is that boost cut off is your friend!
At 3,876 rpm full boost is a bit scary and un-expectant. The gears have been set so launching won’t be difficult of scary the crap out of you. I know, taking away the fun. But, honestly it’s no fun going through the gears and not moving.
I think I can tweak the boost settings in the middle for better response but I can’t do it on my own. To make the changes it’s really a two person job.
The bigger issue now is the exhaust leak on the “hot” or turbo exhaust side. I can find no information on how to fix this. Everyone says use copper gasket – really?
A note: Alamo Turbo in town sucks for tech support – It’s like all they know are big turbo’s; beyond that good luck (yes, that’s where I got the turbo from). grrrrrrr
The Apex-i scramble boost feature comes in handy. I ended up dailing back the boost and then with a a hit of the boost button I can switch to full boost.
The boost by gear selection feels like it’s one of those gimmick features . I’m sure it can work, but would you ever spend the time in teaching it and would you trust it?
Alamo still sucks balls. The information regarding turbo pressure and specification – WTFBBQ! The “experts” have no idea the amount of pressure this turbo should be seeing and even more important the oil flow characteristics.
From what i gather: B series at a min you want to see 60 psi at idle which is what I am seeing at start up but with the restricted flow of -3an (increase pressure but decreases flow) the pressure stays higher as the oil warms up pressure decreases. The problem as Legendboy (Cory) mentioned is to check and measure the -3an fitting which is what came from Alamo… inlet which was flared out is actually a -4an in siz.
Anyway, all said and done I can disassembled the turbo in 30 mins or less and reassemble in that amount of time. I’m going to have to look for a fitting that is smaller.